Wednesday, October 21, 2009

First Watch for a Long Winter

I walked the dark pavement to the front of our property and wondered who placed the Little Dipper exactly up and center from the driveway. It made me smile to wonder. I counted the stars in the bucket and in the handle: Seven. The clear Alaska night sky was quietly beautiful. I knew there was a chance of Northern Lights. Stars were harbingers.

I don't see stars in the summer months in the Interior. Instead Alaska has amazing gardens with huge, atomic-looking vegetables and and broad blooms. There are long hours of light and no chance to see stars.

In the dark, I realized I had missed the night sky and the Northern Lights. And just as soon as I thought about them, I felt a tinge of regret for our gardens and green lawns. It will be a half year before they return. Alaska has a way of encouraging longing.

I turned back to see the sparkle of "Christmas Lights" Terry recently hung around the dome. They weren't so much holiday lights as they were safety lights. Night will soon start at 4:00 pm and last until 10:00 am. The little lights offered better viewing for safety on the decks and a bit of outside charm. I walked back to our home.

My cheeks were cold as I stepped inside. I could feel the thick warmth from the fireplace. Outside the Little Dipper took winter's first watch.

Tip for our guests: If you are visiting Alaska in the winter, check with University of Alaska's site for accurate Aurora (Northern Lights) forecasts: http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/ This site has lots of great Alaskan information!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Lights around the dome are for charm and for safety.

The outside lights are the only things between the Dome and winter's darkness.